Sunday, December 4, 2016





Addendum


I'll call this an addendum to my last couple of posts. Basically it's stuff I wanted to say that I forgot about. (Getting old sucks doesn't it)

Below is a Youtube link to a short presentation about DBS. Dr Yu describes it in a manner, even I could understand. She is a Vandy surgeon, and very sharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyCPdX5i2M0&t=195s

The next link is Dr Koons Asst Professor Vanderbilt Neurology Movements Disorder  Division.
She specializes in Parkinson's. In this video she backs up why exercise is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiV6VH04eH4&t=92s

Dr Koons remarked about RSB having good results, so I want to follow up a little on that. As I said in the post each class is 90 minutes long, and I go twice a week. Since I choose to live in God's country (family farm close to Norris Lake) I have around 35 miles one way to go to class. I don't mine the drive, I knew when I built out in the country what I was getting into. I would go to the 10 AM class and the 1:30 PM class on the same day, but lately it takes me so long to get "on" and get going, it would be hard. Two big big non-motor symptoms is Apathy and Depression. Apathy is alive in my fight and I use this class to battle it,. I feel a certain sense of responsibility to be at the class, especially since I paid good money for it, and Zach has prepared for it, and some of my peers might depend on me to make enough people for a certain drill to go. You might think those are small reasons, but if that makes me grab my gloves and drive 45 minutes to West Knoxville, good enough for me. Thats one more day that the Apathy monster didn't win.  I really hope DBS has a positive effect on the Apathy. You can ask the girls how clean my cars and boat used to be kept. You could see yourself in their reflection. Now I still care, but I don't give a crap. Some days I don't want to get off my back deck. I do have a good view, but I need to be productive. To combat this worthless feeling I'll set goals. For example I'll sign up for a bike ride thats a couple months away. I know I need to put some miles on the road or I'll embarrass myself on the ride day. I can't do that all the time. It's a demon I have to fight almost daily. If Apathy is left unchecked, depression could raise its ugly head. I think I've probably struggled with short periods of depression, say when my meds are not working the way I want them to, or I feel my health is getting worse, or PD is progressing. I'm sure the bike has kept depression somewhat in check over the years,with hiking helping too. I know there is drugs that do wonders for depression, but I'll fight it without them as long as I can.

I just mentioned hiking and a sad feeling embraced me because of the tragic fire storm that struck our beloved Smokey Mountains this past week. Tragic in so many ways, loss of life, destruction of property, loss of jobs,the list goes on. The forest might have a scar on it now, but mother nature will work her wonders, and in no-time it will be back. Houses and cars can be replaced,people cannot.One family stands out to me. The family of 3 brothers with their parents came from Memphis to celebrate a birthday. They were evacuating on foot and become seperated. The bodies of the mother and father were found together the next day I believe,and the 3 sons were taken to the Vanderbilt Burn Center. What was these brothers last image of their parents?Will they always wonder what they could have done different that would have saved their parents. I haven't heard any statements from the survivors , but I doubt they could have changed the outcome with a 1000 degree wall of flame,moving at the speed of a car chasing them down.  I made my girls hike to the Chimney Tops as young as I thought they would enjoy the adventure. I have pics of them enjoying the view and huddled next to a boulder afraid to look, all in the same day. We've done Mt LeConte several times, and have spent the night on top. The first time they did the rigorous trail without me was bitter sweet. I wasn't there to yell at bears if needed, or display any other father traits, but I could be proud that they shared a love for the mountains like their father. I have digressed big time! It's ben a sad week,but the Tennessee Spirit and will to overcome the curveballs in life have never shinned brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment