Tuesday, November 29, 2016



DBS

Deep brain stimulation (DBS) is a surgical procedure used to treat several disabling neurological symptoms—most commonly the debilitating motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease (PD), such as tremor, rigidity, stiffness, slowed movement, and walking problems. (I have had all of these to some degree or another) DBS uses a surgically implanted, battery-operated medical device called an implantable pulse generator (IPG) - similar to a heart pacemaker and approximately the size of a  stopwatch to - deliver electrical stimulation to specific areas in the brain that control movement, thus blocking the abnormal nerve signals that cause PD symptoms. Don't ask me how it does it, the answer is they don't know exactly. It looks like whenever they run the leads into the brain, stirring the pot, it makes things happen. Over the last 20 years of  stirring the pot, they’ve become proficient in making good things happen.  Any success I receive I owe to the many who have undergone the procedure ahead of me.

The first stage of this procedure at Vandy is called Bone Markers and Imagines.
It was a 6 AM show, to be processed and get prepped. I put my stylish gown on, and jumped into bed. Various doctors came by to talk to me about the events of the morning. Real nice staff, very professional. Before I knew it, I was rolled down to the radiology department, met a few more people, and was told to breath deep as a mask was held to my face. The next thing I remember is a nurse ripping some tape off my chest, I yelled I'm not paying for a chest waxing. I was back where I started, about 4 hours had passed. During that time I received a CT and MRI scan, as well as 4 screws in my scull, just under the scalp.  
Not Growing Horns!

Some medical centers I understand have a marathon surgery and complete all stages in a long 13 + hour day. That's harsh! Also, other groups combine Stage I and II. I could see that, but if Vandy has come up with a successful formula that produces good results, I'm happy to spend the extra day going to Nashville. Also, that gives me more time to go out in public places and scare little kids! Just kidding! I think that precise placement of the electrodes is a huge key to success in DBS, and stage I lays the framework. The scans they performed on my brain is made into a 3D model that they use to map the implantation. Some other real smart people take this data to custom make a platform that fits on the marker screws, which allows the surgeon to precisely align the electrodes to the sweetest spot, I'll call it.

Back to recovery, my mouth is so dry I drink everything they'll bring me and take my PD meds. I give them their gown back and get a wheelchair ride to the front door where my very supportive wife Donna is waiting for me. We're on our way home by 12 noon. Here is a funny for you, looking back it's funny. We both were hungry so we went through the Chick-fil-A drive-thru. We get our food and suddenly I need a bathroom. Remember I was drinking a lot just thirty minutes ago. Chic was way to crowded for me to maneuver in, I'm still not completely "on" yet. We roll into KFC next door. I jump out with my cane and freeze in place. I shuffle a few inches at a time and get some steps going.Workers inside come and open doors for us. I'm praying to get in there in time. Well, I made it! Got to laugh! Just another day with PD.

Looks like I got my forehead pierced.
Never thought how much we use our forehead in expressions.

The blog is caught up to date now. My next trip to Vanderbilt Medical center will be for Stage II electrode implant. I appreciate all the good words, comments, prayers and likes, thanks so much, thats very kind.






1 comment:

  1. I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine for Parkinson I purchased from  Multivitamincare . org  was my only way to get rid of my PD,the herbal formula effectively reversed my condition and alleviated all my symptoms, people are suffering from this Parkinson disease due to lack of information.

    ReplyDelete